Click below to listen to my 2 min. Garden Bite radio show: Amaryllis – THE holiday plant
Amaryllis truly are THE holiday plant! What great hostess gifts they make too. How to choose them and then care for them:
- Choose large, firm bulbs – grapefruit size will give you the most blooms for your buck
- Before bloom, keep your Amaryllis in a sunny window away from cold drafts.
- when the flower buds start to show color, move your plant OUT of direct sunlight to a bright, indirect sunlit area
- water well, letting the water drain out the bottom, then let it dry out before watering again.
- cooler temps in lower light levels will prolong the blooms
- Once the bloom is gone, you can treat it like a sun-loving houseplant.
- cut the blooms off so they don’t form seeds
- leave the foliage till it’s yellowed
- when it warms up in Spring, you can plant your amaryllis, pot and all, in a sunny spot
- bring back into the house before the first frost
- store in a dark closet with no water for 8 to 12 weeks, letting the bulbs rest
- When new growth starts, repeat above process!
There are so many choices it’s mind-boggling! If you order online, know their return policy!
Take a peek at these beauties from Gardeners World