Click below to listen to my 2 min. Garden Bite radio show: Amaryllis – an extraordinary holiday plant
What are the holidays without Amaryllis? Not quite as lovely! And what a spectacular hostess gift!!
- Choose large, firm bulbs – grapefruit size will give you the most blooms for your buck
- Before bloom, keep your Amaryllis in a sunny window away from cold drafts.
- When the flower buds start to show color, move your plant OUT of direct sunlight to a bright, indirect sunlit area
- Water well, letting the water drain out the bottom, then let it dry out before watering again.
- Cooler temps in lower light levels will prolong the blooms
- Once the bloom is gone, you can treat it like a sun-loving houseplant.
- Cut the blooms off so they don’t form seeds
- Leave the foliage till it’s yellowed
- When it warms up in Spring, you can plant your amaryllis, pot and all, in a sunny spot
- Bring back into the house before the first frost
- Store in a dark closet with no water for 8 to 12 weeks, letting the bulbs rest
- When new growth starts, repeat above process!
There are SO many choices!!!
How about a little “United Nations”?
and something completely different, ‘Rilona’ .
Other selections from years past….