Click below to listen to my 2 min. Garden Bite radio show: Helpful hints and tips
Dad used to say “kid, I learned the hard way, that’s why I’m telling you now so you don’t have to”. And yet….
I seem to learn the hard way too. Maybe it’s genetic! Still, I’ll list some helpful hints so YOU don’t have to learn the hard way:
- wear gloves when chopping hot peppers OR make sure you don’t rub ANY part of your body until you’ve washed your hands thoroughly!
- when harvesting, have a wash basin or water source nearby to get the big chunks of dirt off before you go into the house
- have a sharp knife handy
- wear easy slip-off shoes so you’re not struggling with a basket of produce in your hands while opening the door to your home
- start a small veggie garden, you can always make it bigger but don’t overwhelm yourself
- Photograph your landscape. Take pictures of the things that worked and those that didn’t.
- when digging holes for large plants, lay a tarp down nearby and toss the soil on that. You can drag it easily across the lawn and it doesn’t leave a mess
- AND HAVE FUN!
Some other hints from my tv show Dig In Minnesota (circa 2013):