Fresh Herb Dressing Recipe
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry rubbed sage
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups toasted plain bread cubes or unseasoned stuffing croutons
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter; add the onions and celery. Saute for about 5 minutes or until the onions soften. Add the garlic and cook for one minute more. Add the sage, salt, pepper and stock; bring to a simmer.
Add bread cubes to a large mixing bowl and pour over the hot broth mixture. Add the fresh herbs and mix well. If the bread seems too dry more stock can be added. Taste for salt, and adjust if needed. Transfer to a buttered two-quart baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes, or until top is golden-brown.