- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 tsp. crushed red peppers
- 1 large diced onion
- 4 Tbsp. bacon pieces (or to taste)
- 2 tsp. garlic puree (minced or fresh diced)
- 5 c. water
- 3 2/3 c. chicken broth (this works out to be the amount in one of those boxes)
- 1 1/4 c. half and half (the recipe calls for heavy cream but I don’t taste a big difference)
- 1 lb. sliced russet potatoes (or about 3 large)
- 1/4 bunch of kale (that’s what the recipe calls for, I use MUCH more) it really cooks down so don’t be freaked out when it looks like that’s all your soup will be! Be sure to cut out the stems.
Saute Italian sausage and crushed red pepper (you could also just buy the hot Italian sausage) in a large pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare the other ingredients. In the same pan, saute bacon, onion and garlic over low-medium heat for about 15 mins. or until onion is soft. Add water and chicken broth to the pot and heat until it starts to boil. Add the sliced potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour. Add the half and half and cook until thoroughly heated. Stire in the sausage and the kale, let all heat through and serve!