Click below to listen to my 2 min Garden Bite radio show: Shopping madness! Gardener gifts galore
Yesterday we packed our bellies, today we’re packing shopping bags!
What do you get the gardener? What do you, the gardener, ask for? Oh the list is endless but here are some of my favorite things!
- Gardener gloves – nearly every kind! You can never have too many
- Garden Fork – a must for digging up plants with as little injury as possible (although I’ve stabbed a few canna bulbs in my time) Garret Wade sells the one below
- Pruners are a big deal! Felco #2 are a standard go-to but for my smaller hands the Felco #6 is fantastic, it’s lighter and the handles are designed to squeeze together more easily.
- I love my collapsible garden bag! I’ve used mine for YEARS and it’s just now showing it’s wear. Fiskars Kangaroo collapsible is available at a decent price.
- Another favorite thing – my subscription to Northern Gardener magazine. Sincerely this is the best magazine for those of us gardening in cold climates.
- And finally…. dealing with cracked skin! I was AMAZED at the reaction from my Garden Bite facebook followers after I posted a picture of my cracked thumb! You guys really came through! So the TOP vote getter for healing was:
- Super Glue – doctor recommended – seriously. The actual origin of the chemical combo was patented in 1942, according to wikipedia… but eventually found it’s way to the medical community, in particular, during the Vietnam War, for a better option than sutures!
- Nexcare Skin crack and other liquid bandages (I bought the generic brand at Walgreens)
- Lotions included Gold Bond Healing, O’Keefes Working Hands, Bag Balm and gloves at night, CBD oil, Vitamin E oil
- Finger protector caps – Gel finger cots (I’d never heard of these before!)